Time to Get Your Ducts in a Row
Ductless mini-splits are ideal for home renovations or additions. They’re also easy to install, minimally invasive and very energy efficient. But occasionally, you might run into an issue with your ductless system, especially if it’s not properly installed and maintained. This month, we want to share some of the most common ductless AC issues so you can stay one step ahead and avoid AC repair this summer.
- Condensate drain clog. The condensate drain is the drain line of your mini-split. As your air conditioner runs, water will drip from the system and disperse through the drain line. If the line becomes clogged with mold or another substance, water will get trapped in the unit. Regular maintenance is the best way to prevent drain line clogs. If our Lancaster HVAC technicians detect a minor clog, they’ll correct the issue before it can become more serious and expensive to fix.
- Refrigerant leaks. While mini-splits free homeowners from ductwork-related issues, problems can arise with the air handlers. Mini-splits are prone to refrigerant leaks, but there’s no need to sweat it. We can efficiently repair these leaks and get your unit working like new again.
- Improper installation and maintenance. Installation is the most important moment of a mini-split’s life. At Arctic Air, we are meticulous with our installation work and will set you up for long-term success. We also want to emphasize that lack of maintenance is the root cause for most AC repairs. During an annual tune-up, our Lancaster AC technicians will inspect your mini-split from top to bottom. If they come across any issues, they’ll share their findings with you. Then, with your approval, they’ll correct the problem quickly and efficiently. These smaller corrections are much more affordable and will keep your AC running smoothly year after year. No-air calls are typically the most expensive type of repair and can usually be traced to a smaller issue that went unnoticed.
- Unusual noises. Ductless air conditioners are quiet in nature. If you notice unusual clicking, popping or gurgling noises, your system is trying to tell you something. Odd noises can indicate a refrigerant issue or malfunctioning sensors.
- Frozen coils. Low refrigerant levels and airflow issues can cause the coils to freeze. When left untreated, this ice can damage the unit. If you notice ice forming anywhere on your mini-split, call us, your Lancaster HVAC experts, to come in and fix it.
- No cold air coming from the unit. This can indicate low refrigerant levels. Other possible issues can be icy coils or a malfunctioning thermostat. Regardless, a mini-split that isn’t doing its job needs to be examined by a trained Lancaster air conditioning technician.
- Lack of dehumidification. Mold in the drain line can interfere with a mini-split’s ability to remove moisture from the air. Another issue can be that the mini-split is too large for the space. If the unit cools your space too quickly, it won’t be able to properly dehumidify the air. This is why it’s so important to ensure your ductless AC is properly sized. At Arctic Air, we are your local Lancaster HVAC experts for AC sizing and will ensure your mini-split is the right fit for your home or business.
- System won’t turn on. This can happen for a number of reasons. First, if your system is equipped with a remote, check the batteries to make sure they don’t need to be replaced. If that’s not the issue, contact us to have our Lancaster heating and air technicians step in and correct the issue.
- Foul odors. Leaks and low refrigerant can result in foul odors that smell like mildew, vinegar and even fish. If you notice any unusual smells coming from the unit, this is a clear indicator that something is wrong.
- Dust buildup on the coils. If dust accumulates around the coils, this can force your mini-split to work harder than it should. This will put excessive strain on the unit and can shorten its lifespan. Regular maintenance will keep your unit clean and performing optimally for as long as possible.
Stay One Step Ahead With Arctic Air
No piece of equipment is ever perfect. But by knowing what can potentially go wrong with your mini-split, you can stay one step ahead and avoid AC repair this summer. The absolute best way to get the most out of your air conditioner—duct or ductless—is to have it inspected each year by a trained Lancaster HVAC professional. Our thorough tune-ups will ensure your mini-split provides the comfort and energy savings it was designed to deliver.
We’re here and ready to help if you need another cooling service this summer, including a residential AC repair or a commercial AC install. You can conveniently schedule an appointment online or over the phone by calling Arctic Air at (661) 214-9160. Cheers to a relaxing, safe and enjoyable summer!